The Marine Chemist Association, Inc. is an independent professional organization composed of chemists certified by the National Fire Protection Association in accordance with the published rules. It had its origin in May 1938, as the Marine Chemists’ Subsection of the NFPA Marine Section. Upon termination of the Marine Section in 1948, the present Association was organized for the following purposes:
- To promote the science of, and improve the method of evaluation and eliminating health, fire and explosion hazards in marine and associated industries.
- To obtain and circulate information relative to these hazards and other information regarding the professional and ethical activities of its members.
- To enhance the general welfare of its members by promoting a closer relationship with all concerned industry and regulatory bodies.